Sunday, May 26, 2013

To surf the net or let your voice vibrate…how about a bit of both?

Its 1:56 AM on what now is technically May 26th of 2013. I didn't go out tonight with the hopes of being productive throughout the evening and then possibly catching up on some sleep, but I can't seem to catch any Z's (maybe I should grab a cold one). And I can't put a finger on why I'm tossing and turning on this particular evening, but I'm pretty sure it’s the world. I'm not talking about the cars that are driving along the busy street I live on, nor am I talking about people now walking home from the bar (they close @ 2 in Washington). No, you see, I am talking about everything that is going on around us and the things that are going on constantly whether we are aware of it or not. (The Universe and all its glory)
I'm sure I'm not the only one to think about the future of the world after I'm no longer in it (then again I could be) but nevertheless I think it’s important to critically think about things like that from time to time. I mean, we constantly think about our own futures (respectively) logically it would only make sense if we all did the same   when it comes to progressing society both while we're living and after we're gone, right? Whether or not there is a need to convince you of that, I do promise, it seems to be like the waves slowly coming up on a sandy shore and slowly being pulled back by the sea, there will be generations after ours have gone.
The question is how you want to be remembered, I suppose. And the truly hilarious thing has to be the fact we'll have some type of social media outlet still up and view-able to our kin, which is pretty sweet. It will be the first time pictures, videos, podcasts; blogs (any other crazy shit they come up with) will have been accessible to generations of family after we are long gone. I mean hell we could still be getting happy birthday’s sent exclusively to our profiles.
The point of this rant I seem to be on is that I realized that I am not satisfied with that, the idea of just being a persona on a website terrifies me. For me it’s the thought of being summed up by a post, a tweet, a blog post, or even clicking a like button (that’s how FB advertising works). I guess what I’m trying to say is that we all are capable of such great and awe inspiring things, that it would be criminal to be comfortable going through life without facing the world, not from beyond a computer (I realize I’m saying that ironically) but with our senses and our voice. Don’t get me wrong, technology is amazing and is only getting better it’s an inelastic resource that you should always use, but use it honestly, sparingly  and for purposeful things.
Maybe if we use technology like that, we can all become our best selves and change the world because of it.

I will now step down from my insomnia induced soap box and let you fine people carry on. Till next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment