Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Ride that wave

The more and more I go through changes in life, the more and more I realize that life is what you make it. You don’t like something, change it.. Life is too short to sit and wallow in your own misfortunes. I am and have been guilty of that before and I probably will be again, but the family and friends that I have been blessed with (you know who you are) have always seen me through whatever negative perception I was having.
          There is always a reason to be down and out. Getting out of relationship, losing a job, losing a friendship or any type of life changing event that seems to be unfathomable at that time can be a reason to lose hope. But here is the thing. Don’t. Let it motivate you. Let it piss you off. Let it be the fuel that stokes that internal fire. In my life there have been many things that have come up that have seemed too difficult to be able to realistically come out better on the other side, but they always have.
       The thing that I have noticed in my 24 years here is that we are all in control of how we react to situations and how we react to those situations tell more about us than the situations themselves. I would love to sit here and tell you that I have always been able to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I would be lying. There have definitely been areas in my life that I wish I would have handled differently to this day.
      A perfect example of that is past girlfriends I have had that haven’t necessarily ended the way I would have liked them to. Sometimes I feel nostalgia and feel like reaching out to prove that either I have changed or that the situation at hand (whatever it was) was an anomaly, but I can’t. That’s life. I think to be successful in life you have to be able to live with those regrets and learn from those mistakes. At the end of the day those past girlfriends that I have had have led me to the point in my dating life. I can’t be angry and regretful (that’s no way to live) no, but instead I have learned to appreciate what each of them taught me (respectively) and move on.  That goes for anything in life. Don’t be hateful and hurt about what others may have done to you, instead take ownership and responsibility for what has happened, realize that ultimately it was meant to be and move forward with a fresh and new perspective.
       Life is like an ocean my friends and we are merely the surfers. The waves that come at us are the problems we face and we can’t control how big or small those waves may be, all we can do is just embrace them and ride the hell out of the biggest wave so that we can become legendary in our own way.  


~B

No comments:

Post a Comment